There’s a real art and science to not only finding the right location, but then working with realtors and landlords to put a short-term deal together.
Popup: It’s about the Deal
- You need Property, Yesterday.
- The Landlord/Broker wants Income
- Conventional negotiation: lawyers, guns, money…MONTHS!
- Conventional Lease…ten years!
- “Get to Yes” Mentality
- If not, move on FAST
It’s about TIME: TIME is MONEY
- Popups are fast moving projects
- Property is at a premium in most prime locations
- Have your budget together FIRST.
- Know negotiating parameters, and how money will affect your program
- What is the value of “lost opportunity” and “in- market”?
“Like or Need”?
- A highly specific space is hard to find = more time/money
- List your needs & then consider which are actually “likes”
Make a List:
- Duration in market/space?
- Time to build?
- Specific needs
- loading docks
- higher ceilings
- unusual service demands
- Specific adjacencies to locations, transport or event venues
The Matching Game: Your Program Defines the Search
- Sampling program: Two days in market + 8 cities in sequence Requires 1 “kit”
- Immersive Brand Environment: 4-6 weeks in market + 9 cities (3 simultaneous) Requires sequence of 3 “kits”
- Seasonal Consumer Goods= 3 weeks in market + 10 cities (10 simultaneous), Requires ten unique programs
To read the full article, download the whitepaper here: